Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Kate and Sandy's Excellent Adventure - Day 1 -2009-03-22

Sandy says:
Yesterday was a travel day, so I figure it was day 0, so today is day 1! We took our time getting started this morning, and then headed over to Norquay, which is the smallest of the 3 Banff ski destinations, and a great place to get started.

You can have a look at the map for the mountain at http://www.banffnorquay.com/onmountain/trailmap.html

We took our time getting going, then drove around town looking for a greasy spoon that Dave and I always got breakfast at. I could not find it. I thought that was in Banff - I don't know, at my age, it could have been some other town and I have it remembered wrong! So, we ended up at McD's for breakfast, and got on the mountain around 10AM. We had about 3" - 3 /12" of fairly heavy new snow last night. It did not feel that wet to the touch, but it sure felt wet and heavy when we went to ski it! So, we had a pretty good morning, skiing both the Mystic and Spirit chair. I decided not to tell Kate about Dave's son having broken his collar bone here - and I think that was a good idea, because we both found this to be a big challenging hill! LOL - and all we skied was the blue runs.

Just before lunch, I toke a dump and gave my right knee a pretty good torque. We made a couple of runs, and decided it was lunch time - I think about 1PM. Had a nice small bowl of soup and a bottle of OJ - for $8! Yup - $8!

After lunch, we did a couple more green runs on the Cascade chair, but we were both tired, and my knee was really hurting so , we called it a day!


Kate says:
Duuuuudeee... sweeeeeet. So we got a dump of snow and I think it was wet stuff. I sure felt wet on my when I took that face plant.... moving along... I'm new to this whole fresh power concept, as skiing Ontario is pretty standard groomed stuff. It was a challenge to carve it, it takes a lot more hip and knee motion to control. That said, it was a great day and I'm excited to see the other mountains! It was mostly cloudy with a few peaks of sun every so often, so we didn't catch a whole lot of the view.

Heheh, I just read about Dave's son in Dad's notes above, oy! Well, we had our helmets and we're sticking together.

It was a long drive down here from Cold Lake but totally worth it! Im hoping to talk Dad into trying dog sledding while we;re out here. I told him he could have the comfy seat under the blankets and I will steer heheh.

We both have some minor aches this evening, but we have already begun liquid medication and expect to be fine as long as the beer supply holds out! Oh, one more thing... Friends dont let friend eat McDonalds and ski. FYI.

Love you all!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment